Skip to main content

Fix Wood Furniture!

So....yes, it's been quite a while since I last posted. If you are a teacher, you'd totally understand. It is the end of 3rd quarter, and things get somewhat hectic around this time of year. My class has also been working on writing a book in groups of 3 from beginning to end. This takes the WHOLE quarter because it is so involved. When they are finished we make colored copies for them and ship the original off to Scholastic. Scholastic holds a contest every year called the Scholastic Kids Are Authors Contest. Kids in groups of 3 or more make a book and all the artwork and submit it to Scholastic. They then pick one winner in each category and actually publish the book! The book gets sold in Scholastic Book Fairs around the US! So exciting and fun, but also very exhausting. The stories my kids wrote this year are SO good. I know I'm a little biased, but I've got some very good authors in my class this year! We had an 8th grade English class come to help us final edit our papers and several of them were amazed that the stories were written by second graders! Fingers crossed, we hear back in about a month and a half.
Other than that I HAD to share this cool trick with all of you. One night for dinner we had garlic bread. A piece of bread was on a paper towel on the kitchen table. When I cleaned off the table after dinner, I noticed that there was an awful spot on the table that had been ruined by the gralic bread:
As you can see, it's in the perfect shape of a piece of bread.

So, one day I was browsing on Pinterest and saw a cool trick. It said to use a hairdryer and point it directly at the ruined spot. It would get rid of any spots on wood furniture. I was VERY skeptical to say the least. It couldn't be that easy to get rid of this spot on the table, but I tried it anyway. Jeff walked by and gave me the funniest look while I was trying this. To my amazement IT WORKED! Yes, the spot is now gone:
Pintrest also said that this would also work on cup rings that have ruined wooden furniture. I think it has something to do with the varnish being heated and moving around. However it works, it fixed our kitchen table. Thank goodness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Parade

Because I'm a sucker for parades so we took Naomi to her first Christmas parade! It was a very nice day out! We tried Naomi's sunglasses on her...but they didn't stay on long! Every time a band passed Naomi was completely enthralled in them! Future band nerd in the making! :)

Bunny

About a year ago I got a bunny as my classroom pet. I have wanted a Netherland Dwarf bunny for quite some time because of their cute ears and they stay small. Small bunny = perfect for classoom life. So after the beloved Max (my old guinea pig) left us, I knew now was the time to get a bunny! Thank goodness my sister Anna looks on Craigs List all the time for animals because she actually found a Netherland Dwarf Bunny that was up for adoption! YAY! I got her a couple of days after I found the post and was so excited. The kids decided to name her Maddi after a character in the book Fever 1793 . If you like historical fiction books,  you should check it out because it's really good! Little did I know that bunnies are full of personality! On her first day home she bit me 3 times and got me 2 times with her nails. Good thing is now she likes me (most of the time) and is much more friendly! She lets the kids in the class pet her and feed her. She also hops around the classroom....

Seeing Santa

There is a fun farm in the area called Hill Ridge Farm. They have a really fun Christmas light show during this time of year. Santa is also there! We waited in line for 1 hour to see Santa! By that time Naomi was tired (it was 8:00) and ready for bed! Santa and Naomi snuggled for a little bit and Santa said thanks for giving him a break :) We definitely learned that next year we need to visit before the last weekend before Christmas! Unfortunately we didn't see the light show, maybe next year! :)