Skip to main content

Mercury

We started learning about other planets this past week. First up-Mercury. We watched these two videos to start our study. The first one is a song and the second is an informational video. 




The Bible verse we are focusing on for the next couple of week is:

Psalm 19:1- The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of his hands.

The kids first colored a picture of Mercury- you can find it here.

The next day we did the first craft. We painted Mercury with all the craters. First I cut out circles on black construction paper and used brown and white paint. The kids used a toothbrush to 'fling' paint onto their Mercury cut-outs.
 




For a science experiment we created Mercury out of salt dough. The recipe we used was:
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of salt
1 tsp. oil (we used vegetable)
1/4 cup of water

Once the dough was made, we created small flat Mercuries. The kids collected rocks outside and threw them at their Mercury to create craters.







After our Mercuries were dry, we painted them.



For phonics, we played a game called Planet Hop. I changed it a bit since Naomi needed practice with words containing a magic e at the end. I created new cards with words on it like: hop, hope, hat, hate, etc. She really enjoyed playing this game instead of just reading the words- and Naomi actually won!

For math we practiced small addition and subtraction problems. Instead of timing her this week, I let her color! It took her 3 days to do this, but she finished it! Isaiah colored by number- practicing recognizing his numbers. Here are the coloring pages. 

Naomi's favorite fact about Mercury is that it has craters like the moon. Isaiah's favorite fact about Mercury is that it is close to the sun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunny

About a year ago I got a bunny as my classroom pet. I have wanted a Netherland Dwarf bunny for quite some time because of their cute ears and they stay small. Small bunny = perfect for classoom life. So after the beloved Max (my old guinea pig) left us, I knew now was the time to get a bunny! Thank goodness my sister Anna looks on Craigs List all the time for animals because she actually found a Netherland Dwarf Bunny that was up for adoption! YAY! I got her a couple of days after I found the post and was so excited. The kids decided to name her Maddi after a character in the book Fever 1793 . If you like historical fiction books,  you should check it out because it's really good! Little did I know that bunnies are full of personality! On her first day home she bit me 3 times and got me 2 times with her nails. Good thing is now she likes me (most of the time) and is much more friendly! She lets the kids in the class pet her and feed her. She also hops around the classroom....

Christmas Parade

Because I'm a sucker for parades so we took Naomi to her first Christmas parade! It was a very nice day out! We tried Naomi's sunglasses on her...but they didn't stay on long! Every time a band passed Naomi was completely enthralled in them! Future band nerd in the making! :)

Seeing Santa

There is a fun farm in the area called Hill Ridge Farm. They have a really fun Christmas light show during this time of year. Santa is also there! We waited in line for 1 hour to see Santa! By that time Naomi was tired (it was 8:00) and ready for bed! Santa and Naomi snuggled for a little bit and Santa said thanks for giving him a break :) We definitely learned that next year we need to visit before the last weekend before Christmas! Unfortunately we didn't see the light show, maybe next year! :)