Skip to main content

Making Baby Food

So Naomi turned 6 months recently which means time for solid food. I knew that I wanted to make my own food and wanted to start with purees. I know that there are varying opinions about how to start solids and the best way to go. We decided to do purees, but I understand why others choose different paths. Since I knew where I wanted to start, my supermom said she could help. First we went to Trader Joe's to get all the vegetables and fruits. While there we got distracted by all of the pumpkin goodies...


The first thing we did was to cook all of the food either by steaming it, boiling it, or cooking it in the oven. 




Once the food was cooked we blended it and placed the food into separate bowls. One for sweet potatoes, one for butternut squash, one for carrots, etc.



Then came the fun part! We (mostly supermom) started blending different fruits and veggies together. We tried the combinations as we went and they were all quite tasty!

Once the combinations were final I put them into little Tupperware containers. We actually ran out of containers and had to start using Ziploc baggies!



Here's a picture of all of the food once I got it home:


The best thing I learned is that you don't really need a recipe. We just blended things together and added the water it cooked in if it was too thick. We had so much fun being 'mad scientists'! Here are some of the foods that we made Naomi:
-butternut squash and sweet potatoes
-butternut squash and pears
-spinach and apples
-squash, quinoa, and carrots

Her favorite so far has been butternut squash!

From the looks of it she's loving the food:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunny

About a year ago I got a bunny as my classroom pet. I have wanted a Netherland Dwarf bunny for quite some time because of their cute ears and they stay small. Small bunny = perfect for classoom life. So after the beloved Max (my old guinea pig) left us, I knew now was the time to get a bunny! Thank goodness my sister Anna looks on Craigs List all the time for animals because she actually found a Netherland Dwarf Bunny that was up for adoption! YAY! I got her a couple of days after I found the post and was so excited. The kids decided to name her Maddi after a character in the book Fever 1793 . If you like historical fiction books,  you should check it out because it's really good! Little did I know that bunnies are full of personality! On her first day home she bit me 3 times and got me 2 times with her nails. Good thing is now she likes me (most of the time) and is much more friendly! She lets the kids in the class pet her and feed her. She also hops around the classroom....

Christmas Parade

Because I'm a sucker for parades so we took Naomi to her first Christmas parade! It was a very nice day out! We tried Naomi's sunglasses on her...but they didn't stay on long! Every time a band passed Naomi was completely enthralled in them! Future band nerd in the making! :)

Sun

We started our study of Space with the Sun. We first read Genesis 1:14-19 and talked about how God created the Sun and the Moon. We then watched this very cute video made by Story Bots. If you haven't seen this show on Netflix, I highly recommend it! I ordered this book off of Amazon and we read the portions about the sun together. Next we read a poem about the sun and they colored a picture of the sun. For Math, we sorted pictures of the Sun, Moon, and Earth. Naomi and Isaiah took turns counting how many of each object we had. Isaiah continued counting, while Naomi started to add. How many Suns and Moons are there? How many Moons and Earths are there? Very cute activity that you can find here .  For phonics Naomi and I played this game to practice CVC words. We each drew 5 cards and tried to find a place to put them that made an actual word. We were able to play this game a couple of times! I was very surprised at how much fun Naomi had playing this! When we were finished playing...